News and Notes
- One of the more interesting recruitments going on right now is that of Redford Thurston (Mich.) senior wide receiver Eric Wilson, a 6'2, 205-lb prospect who has been tearing it up on the field this year. He currently holds offers from Northwestern, West Virginia, Toledo, Central Michigan, and two new ones from Army and Bowling Green. In addition, it sounds like more should be on their way.
Sources close to Wilson have informed Scout that Michigan State has reached back out to their camp and they believe the Spartans may be close to making an offer, telling Wilson he could play receiver, safety or linebacker at MSU. Wilson was invited to this weekend's Wisconsin game, but cannot make it.
Similarly, the Michigan Wolverines made contact three weeks ago, and invited Wilson to their game against Minnesota, but he also could not make that game. Syracuse has also been in heavy contact lately and may offer Wilson as a safety since their receiver spots are full. Wilson will begin scheduling visits the first week of November.
- Cleveland Rhodes (Ohio) running back Lakeith Walls reports that his latest offer comes from the Cincinnati Bearcats.
"Cincinnati offered me on Thursday night," he said. "There are talks of a visit, but no official date yet. The 6'3, 200-lb Walls has also been offered by twelve other schools including NC State, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Louisville, Northwestern and more.
- Another senior that has been rising quickly is O'Fallon (Ill.) safety Ka'ra Stewart. After being offered by Missouri last week, his first, the 6'0, 190-lb prospect quickly added more offers. He reports new offers from Iowa, Illinois and Northwestern. He says Boston College, Kansas State, Minnesota and Nebraska have also shown an interest amongst others.
- An Ohio senior added his first offer recently, and could you believe it's an offensive lineman from St. Eds? Something of an OL factory this year, tackle Sean Connolly picked up an offer from Wyoming. The 6'7, 290-lb Connolly, who shares a line with Michigan commit Kyle Kalis and West Virginia pledge Tyler Orlosky, is reporting additional interest from the Mountaineers, along with Louisville, Purdue, Kent State, Akron, Marshall and several others.
- Pickerington Central (Ohio) junior defensive end Jake Butt reports new offers from Purdue and Maryland.
- Beth Long has confirmed that five-star Chicago Simeon (Ill.) OT Jordan Diamond will visit Notre Dame this weekend. There was some thought that Diamond may attend the Michigan State-Wisconsin game, but he is still on course for South Bend. Beth has also confirmed that four-star junior defensive end Elijah Daniel will be in attendance.
Underclassman of the Week
- Watch out for Fort Wayne (Ind.) Northrop sophomore defensive end Austin Pearson. The class of 2014 prospect is 6'5, 230-lbs and started as a freshman on varsity a year ago. This season, he has taken another step forward as he has seven sacks this season. The staff at Northrop tells me they believe he's a big time player and he could be a guy we're talking a lot about at this time next year.
Sleeper of the Week
- I wrote about him earlier this week, but remember the name Javond Williams from Fort Wayne Bishop Luers. He's a 6'7, 310-lb kid that wasn't on the radar before this year, but after transferring from Fort Wayne Wayne, he has taken to the coaching at Luers and has had a good season. Indiana and Ball State have inquired and there may be more movement with him soon.