For the second year the debut of the class rankings has a member from the East Region as the top player in the nation, and like in 2014, the class of 2015 rankings are decidedly top heavy with Virginia Prospects.
Tim Settle, a defensive tackle from Manassas (Va.) Stonewall Jackson, is the top player in the 2015 class and one of 36 players in the just-released Scout 300.
East State Breakdown:
New Jersey: 4
District of Columbia: 2
New York: 2
West Virginia: 1
Virginians also occupy the second in third spots in the region. Five-star outside linebacker prospect Ricky DeBerry of Richmond St. Christopher’s School is the No. 10 prospect nationally and Chesapeake Oscar Smith defensive end Josh Sweat is No. 29 overall.
The region has 34 prospects rated with four stars, and Maryland and Virginia are the leaders with 10 each. Pennsylvania has six and New Jersey has four. Also, the top tight end in the region is Morgantown (W.V.) High prospect Stone Wolfley, who is committed to the hometown Mountaineers.
Since none of the players have even started their junior seasons, the class is high on potential and several players fit that category more than many others.
Sweat has not played a lot of varsity football, and Jersey City (N.J.) St. Peter’s Prep quarterback Brandon Wimbush, who is rated No. 236 overall and No. 19 at the position, is going into his first year as a starter but he has a big arm, can move well and is coming off a tremendous spring and summer camp and combine circuit.
“It’s great to have, but if I don’t perform on the field it’s not going be anything,” Wimbush said. “There’s going to be nothing next to my name. No stars or anything. Coach (Rich) Hansen already told me that. People are putting stars next to my name and I haven’t even played.”
East Position Breakdown:
Offensive tackles: 6
Defensive ends: 4
Defensive tackles: 4
Running backs: 4
Outside linebacker: 1
Offensive guard: 1
Middle linebacker: 1
Tight end: 1
The region also has names that may be familiar to fans as Tyronne Wheatley Jr., a defensive end and tight end, has transferred into Buffalo (N.Y.) Canisius High. He is the No. 140 prospect in the nation and the son of former Michigan great Tyrone Wheatley Sr.
Also, Baltimore’s The Gilman School is home to receiver Kai Locksley, the No. 260 player in the nation and son of Maryland assistant Mike Locksley.
Scout 300 for 2015
East Rankings of the Scout 300
1 DT Tim Settle Manassas (Va.) Stonewall Jackson
2. DE Ricky DeBerry Richmond (Va..) St. Christopher's School
3. DE Josh Sweat Chesapeake (Va.) Oscar F. Smith
4. OL Isaiah Prince Greenbelt (Md.) Eleanor Roosevelt
5. DE Christian Wilkins Suffield (Conn.) Suffield Academy
6. LB Kamonte Carter Gaithersburg (Md.) Gaithersburg
7. OL Sterling Jenkins Pittsburgh (Pa.) Baldwin
8. OT Matthew Burrell Woodbridge (Va.) C. D. Hylton
9. CB Minkah Fitzpatrick Jersey City (N.J.) St. Peters Prep
10. WR Brandon Polk Ashburn (Va.) Briar Woods
11. RB Andre Robinson Harrisburg (Pa.) Bishop McDevitt
12. CB Jordan Whitehead Monaca (Pa.) Central Valley
13. DE Clelin Ferrell Richmond (Va.) Benedictine
14. WR Jaason Lewis Virginia Beach (Va.) Ocean Lakes
15. OG Patrick Allen Reisterstown (Md.) Franklin
16. CB John Reid Philadelphia (Pa.) St. Joseph's Prep
17. TE Tyrone Wheatley Buffalo (N.Y.) Canisius
18. DT Darvin Taylor II Chester (Va.) Thomas Dale
19. RB Josh Adams Warrington (Pa.) Central Bucks -South
20. OT Quarvez Boulware Washington (D.C.) Friendship Collegiate Acad.
21. CB Jalen Christian Damascus (Md.) Damascus
22. DL Adam McLean Gaithersburg (Md.) Quince Orchard
23. OT Grant Newsome Lawrenceville (N.J.) Lawrenceville School
24. CB Ashton White Forestville (Md.) Bishop Mcnamara
25. CB Kareem Ali Erial (N.J.) Timber Creek Regional
26. CB Dionte Austin Baltimore (Md.) Calvert Hall College
27. RB Nas Bonner Philadelphia (Pa.) Imhotep Institute
28. MLB Jahvoni Simmons Virginia Beach (Va.) Ocean Lakes
29. QB Brandon Wimbush Jersey City (N.J.) St. Peters Prep
30. S Juantez McRae Baltimore (Md.) Calvert Hall
31. OT E.J. Donahue Frederick (Md.) Linganore
32. WR Kai Locksley Baltimore (Md.) Gilman School
33. CB Garrett Taylor Richmond (Va.) St. Christopher's School
34. TE Stone Wolfley Morgantown (W.V.) Morgantown
35. QB Nick Johns Washington (D.C.) Gonzaga College
36. RB Jonathan Forrest New Rochelle (N.Y.) New Rochelle