Lone Star Commitments
Last Wednesday, George Ranch defensive tackle Kingsley Keke took to twitter to announce his intentions…
-- It's official, I'll be Committing to Texas A&M University! #GigEm #AGTG --
Over the weekend, Westfield offensive lineman Cordel Iwuagwu made the call to his coach first to let him know that he was thinking, after a visit to TCU. Later that night this past Saturday, the call was made and Iwuagwu committed to the Horned Frogs. Staying with the position, Sam Awolope from Marshall, despite a number of offers coming through lately, decided to keep his talents (on and off the field) close to home with his commitment to Rice. It's evident what his mindset was when it came to making this decision.
"Every school can boast about their athletics... But only mine can boast about their academics and athletics," Awolope said via twitter.
Nothing Like Your First (Offer That Is)…
Both are Houston ISD players. Bellaire running back Xzaviar Campbell landed his first offer from Texas State while Lamar defensive back Trevion Duncan was offered by Sam Houston State.
Out-of-State Calls Made
The biggest announcement in the Midlands region as far as commitments are concerned was probably the verbal from Katy running back Rodney Anderson to Oklahoma, which came on Sunday. The four-star Anderson was a longtime Texas A&M commitment, who decided to open things up after wondering if the program was the right fit from an offensive standpoint. After a solid performance on Day 2 of the Sooner camp, the No. 20 running back nationally experienced all he needed to in order to make his commitment.
Heading to Southwest Houston, after the spring game, Alief Taylor safety Kenneth McGruder said he was looking forward to making some visits this summer. Texas Tech, LSU and Oklahoma State were the programs mentioned that he would like to get out to. He has yet to make it out anywhere, but the latter of the schools mentioned got something even better. An unexpected Tuesday commitment is what coach Mike Gundy and staff received from McGruder.
Former TCU and Texas pledge, West Orange Stark safety Johnny Shaw made his commitment to Louisiana Tech last week.
Offers Pouring In…
• Kingwood Park quarterback Jaylon Henderson has a new offer from New Mexico. Last week it was SE Louisiana.
• Manvel defensive back William Lockett continues to add offers. UCLA is the latest.
• Interest in Foster linebacker Eric David has been picking up lately. He was offered by Louisiana-Lafayette and Sam Houston State on the same day.
• Five-star stud defensive back Kendall Sheffield was offered by Mississippi State.
• Big man from North Shore, Tyler Moore added a Texas State offer to the list.
• For Pearland offensive lineman Willie Williams, it was his first from Fresno State. Over the weekend, he added a New Mexico offer to the list.
• Bush offensive lineman Josh Jones landed a Rutgers offer.
• A program that has been handing out plenty of offers in Fresno State, offered Spring defensive back Willie Sykes.