Signing Day Journal: David Paulsen

Most of us have watched a prospect sign a letter of intent to go play college football. It is a feel-good moment, an image of young man reaping the reward of years of hard work. But, have you ever wondered what goes on behind the scenes? Look no farther, as Walton HS (GA)Jumbo Athlete David Paulsen has offered to share what amounts to a very busy (and interesting) day.

Signing Day


David Paulsen


630 AM- Wakeup. Get my Oklahoma State gear on for the big day. Because Georgia is one hour ahead of Oklahoma, I wanted to be the very first recruit to get my NLI signed and faxed to the OSU football offices so it would be waiting for the coaches when they arrived in that morning.


644 AM- Receive a call from an Athens, GA area code and figured it was most likely one of the UGA coaches calling to make one last attempt at convincing me to commit to their team as a Grey shirt. I decided not to answer and let them leave a message on my cell and I would call them back after I signed at 7. I saw that I had a voicemail and listened to it. Come to find out, it was Head Coach Mark Richt himself calling to inform me that he was offering me a full-scholarship to play and I would be able to report in the summer. I was stunned, but I still decided to wait and call him back after my signing so there would be no chance of me wavering.


655 AM- I prepared the official papers for signing and had the fax machine ready to send as soon as the clock struck 7 AM.


700 AM- National Signing Day officially begins on the east coast. I sat down at the kitchen table with my parents watching and signed the dotted line. My dad then signed the papers in the appropriate spot and my mom was in the background taking pictures. Both of them were wearing all their Black and Orange.


701 AM- Fax was sent from our home to the OSU football offices and I called Coach Gundy to confirm he had received it but he was not in yet so I waited.


705 AM- We all left for a before-school breakfast at my favorite breakfast spot, Waffle House. On the way, I returned Coach Richt's phone call while my parents listened in from the front seat. He was a very classy man and even though he offered me extremely late, he was extremely courteous and classy during our talk. He realized my opportunity at Oklahoma State and wished me luck, even though he knew he would be facing my team on September 5th for the opening game of the college football season.


720 AM- EAT! I had a very hearty breakfast. A Waffle, eggs, bacon, hash browns, and grits. Sweet tea in the glass.


733 AM- My recruiting area coach, Coach Glenn Spencer called to let me know he had just arrived in the office and my NLI was the first to be received, but by a small margin. Another Georgia boy, Ryan Robinson of Mill Creek, had sent his fax merely 30 seconds after me. He was just as excited as I was to finally be a Cowboy.


740 AM-While the parents were taking care of the check, I went outside and called Coach Gundy again. He was very happy to hear I was the first to have my fax in. I knew he had a very big day ahead of him as well.


805 AM- I felt like sending texts out to some of the guys over in Oklahoma and Texas to see if they had signed yet. I sent a message to Clint Chelf, Jeremy Smith, and Andrew Hudson asking, "You a Cowboy yet?"


820 AM-School. Boooo.


1130 AM- Left School. (Early Release Day)


1205 PM- I had a radio interview with Robert Allen on his Oklahoma radio station. It was the first chance any of the fans in Oklahoma had a chance to hear me speak about football and my commitment to OSU. I was on my cell in my room while my parents listened in on the computer downstairs.


1245 PM- Eat again, a bit more fancy this time. We went to Stoney River, a very nice steakhouse. My grandfather, who had just flown in from Seattle, WA joined us. I had a big juicy filet with mashed potatoes and a big ol' Caesar salad. HUGE chocolate cake for dessert.


200 PM- Stopped at Fedex to ship the actual signing papers to OSU.


330 PM- Got dressed for a picture in the newspaper for signing day and the official signing day ceremonies that were taking place at my school that night. I got a brand new suit for signing day. Very dapper.


415 PM- Arrived at the newspaper office to take the picture with all the other D-1 signees in the county. It took FOREVER. I first did an interview for the article that would be posted and then we took the picture as a group. We then had individual video interviews with the sports editor of the paper that were going to be put online.


645 PM- Arrive at Walton for signing ceremony.


700 PM- Ceremony begins with lots of friends and family in attendance.


845 PM- Headed over to the local sports bar to celebrate one more time with family and close friends. It was packed that night and when I sat down they announced my signing and congratulated me in front of everyone there, which was a big surprise.


1030 PM- Home…shower…bed…pass out. Day over.
 Recommended Stories

  • Peyton Manning emerged alone atop yet another category in the NFL record book tonight vs the Niners, as he tossed touchdown #509 under the national spotlight of Sunday Night Football (NBC). (Photo…

  • Former USC and NFL running back LenDale White added tons of drama to what was a relatively quiet Homecoming weekend for the Trojans.

  • Here’s a way to watch football and improve your golf swing at the same time. In your living room (or on the range), practice the one-minute golf swing, as shown in this video. Set the timer on your…

  • Dr. Roto, like many others, can't believe Seattle Seahawks QB Russell Wilson (pictured above) passed for over 300 yards and rushed for over 100 yards in the same game. First time that's ever happened…

  • As soon as those winds fall off, get into the stand! I always tell people you can't kill them if you aren't out, but if you want to try and pick an opportune time – this is it.


31 Fans online
    Join The Conversation